A while back, I cooked a chicken noodle soup with my beautiful, cool, and wonderful neighbor Dana. Her blog is at http://ivegotcake.com. The weather got a little chill this week, which makes me miss a good chicken noodle soup. For the recipe, I used Chinese black chicken, also called Silky chicken. These are really lean chicken which have the intense chicken flavor as compared to the regular or organic chicken normally available at grocery stores. I tweaked around the typical chicken noodle soup and added some Asian flavor notes in the consummé, the flavor of celery is incorporated into the noodles, and crunchiness is delivered via the skin chip flavored with truffle oil. I need to credit chefsteps.com which the consummé recipe is mostly based on, so I called it Chesteps chicken consommé.
For Chefsteps chicken consummé: follow the recipes at http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/chicken-consomme, but use the following ingredients when making the blond chicken stock: 2Kg of black chicken (2 or 3), skin and breasts removed, one large leek 400g, 200g carrots, 1 large onion 400g, 3 bay leaves, 3 dried maiitake mushrooms, 6 lotus seeds, 3 ginko nuts, 1/2 table spoon of dried lily bulbs.
For the noodle: 1 cup all purpose flour, 1/3 cup water, parsley leaves, celery leaves, carnation flower petals
Other components: a small carrot, a bundle of bonapi mushrooms, a bundle of brown beech mushrooms
Make the chefsteps chicken stock and consummé, in the mean time prepare the following components
(1) Carve the carrots into a flowers, soak in cold water
(2) Make the noodle: mix the water and flour, you may need to add water or flour to achieve the right viscosity. Roll the dough out to as thin as possible, place the flowers and herbs on one half side the thin sheet, fold the other half over and roll more to seal. Cut into 1 inch wide 4 inches long pieces, set aside for boiling.
(3) Make the skin chip: preheat oven to 350F. Salt the chicken skin generously, set in fridge for 1hr, then rinse with running water, try with paper towel. Lay a parchment paper on a baking pan that does not flex under high heat, brush with black truffle oil, place the skin flat on the parchment paper, brush the skin with truffle oil, lay another piece of parchment on top, and put 2 heavy skillet on top. Bake in oven for 15min, take out, cut skin into 1/2 wide, 3 inch long pieces, place back in the parchment paper under heavy skillet, and bake another 15 to 25min until crisp.
After the blonde chicken stock is ready:
(4) Use 300g of the chicken stock to make chicken consummé.
(5) Heat another 2 cups of blond chicken stock to boil, blanch the carrot flower and mushrooms for 2min. Chill in icy water after.
(6) Poach the black chicken breasts in the same stock with heat just below simmer for 10min. Slice into bite sizes after.
(7) Boil the noodles in the same stock for 3 to 4min.
To plate, scoop half a cup chicken consummé into a serving bowl, season with salt, add 1 piece of the noodle, 2 small bundles of mushrooms, place the carrot flower in the middle, place the skin chip over the rim, garnish with edible flowers.